Friday, May 23, 2008

T. E. Lawrence

Have you heard of the great T. E. Lawrence or as he was famously known as Lawrence of Arabia? Look up the Wikipedia article on him. I have read his biography, I have read his book, The Seven Pillars of Wisdom and I have seen the great movie that David Lean made on his life, The Lawrence of Arabia. He was surely a very fascinating character and a very inspiring one. Then he couldn't get good grades for his BA, he was asked to write a dissertation and he chose his topic, 'The influence of the crusades on the medieval military architecture of Europe' and he went off to Syria to physically study the castles there and it is said that he walked 1100 miles in the space of three months and completed his work!

This is his quote on my website and I reproduce it below:

All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did.
---
Seven Pillars of Wisdom

1 comment:

Kunal Majumder said...

I remember being introduced to Lawrence of Arabia in my first year by you. Honestly I didnt have much of any idea about Middle East before that.As i read and watch more about ME... it get more fascinating. I got a chance to watch the movie last year... i loved it.

This blog is about a personal history but also about a professional life. It is about an English professor but also about a professional translator. It is in fact about a life well-lived and how to live a life pretty well.

Widget

ss_blog_claim=2b78926a66a7a4aaa4d737c54b6ecab7