Thursday, August 14, 2008

Great News: Professor Alok Bhalla


This is slightly old but still... We have Professor Alok Bhalla who has been appointed as Visiting Professor at the Department of English, Jamia Millia Islamia University, New Delhi from 2008-2009 and he shall be with us for the next two years. This is a great moment to rejoice for us because all my life, I have rarely seen a more erudite person as Professor Bhalla who was also very lucid in his ideas, speech and language.

For those of us, who have been lost in the information overload of our age, here is some information on Professor Alok Bhalla, none of which is really comprehensive or complete. But this information that I'm providing below is by way of a teaser....

If you would like to see how Professor Bhalla looks, we have a picture here. This isn't the best of pictures because he is much more graceful and very expressive in person. And this same image can also be seen at the Urdu Studies website.

There is a book review that you can read of a book by Professor Alok Bhalla. This review was written in The Hindu by the renowned poet, Keki Daruwalla. You can read the review here.

He has around twenty three books published and is a major authority on translation studies and partition literature among others. He is also deeply interested in Latin American literature. I am sure everyone at the Department of English, Jamia Millia Islamia University, would gain a lot from his presence. And I'm sure anyone who is a student here can always gain from his insights and listen to him speak.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I studied under him when i did my post graduation in English from CIEFL (now EFLU)....it still gives me goosebumps when i think of his lectures....i c him as a bard....

Bhavna said...

I too studied under him at CIEFL..i used to call him by "afternoon coffee" :) His lecture used to be from 2pm to 4pm. All i can say that he is a brilliant orator and an amazing teacher :)

Bhavna said...

i was a student of his at CIEFL...i used to call him my "afternoon coffee"..a brilliant orator and an amazing teacher...i miss you sir..thanks for all the wisdom :)

Anonymous said...

I took his courses during my masters from CIEFL. He was like GOD to me. He is a style icon. Love you sir!

This blog is about a personal history but also about a professional life. It is about an English professor but also about a professional translator. It is in fact about a life well-lived and how to live a life pretty well.

Widget

ss_blog_claim=2b78926a66a7a4aaa4d737c54b6ecab7